Apartment Rental in the UK: know your rights and obligations

It is quite difficult to have to leave your country, your family, try to find a job, learn English (or improve) and find a place to live, that's why this article would help you by giving more information about housing. Whether you want to rent a house, an apartment, a room or a studio, this information will help you whatever is your situation. First of all, start by telling yourself that the law in the United Kingdom makes very clear the procedures to be performed in both cases, so you should not encounter any major problem. So here's everything you need to know.

About the deposit:

Since April 6, 2007, it appears in the TDP (Tenancy Deposit Scheme) that the owner of the housing must keep the deposit or secure it. As a result, he cannot spend it, and once the contract is signed, he is required to give you the information in 30 days how to keep it safe. If he has not respected this part of his duty as the owner, you can complain to the nearest court, and although it costs you money, the judge could force him to pay you three times the value of the deposit, so that it pays off. However, in some cases, the owner will also have the right to remove some of the deposit. Here is all the necessary information on this subject.

About repairs and troubleshooting:

In theory the accommodation must be in perfect condition for rental, but the practice is often very different. It is possible that they go crazy if you tell them that the water tank is leaking, that there are new traces of humidity, that the heating is not working and that you are going to catch pneumonia or that the bathtub gives cramps. However, the government does not tolerate these behaviors, and makes it very clear that homeowners must be responsible for housing damage (at least those that have not been caused by you). More specifically, they must be responsible for: the external structure, baths, sinks, toilets, piping, drainage, heating, boilers, hot water, gas installations, ventilation, electrical system and all that is related, in addition to the damage which were caused by renovations done by the owner. Of course, keep in mind that if you undertake a renovation without the owner's approval, you will have to cover the costs in full. You should also know that in case of emergency, you have the right to call the company of water, gas, etc. while keeping the owner informed of the evolution and the total cost. According to the laws in force, if the fault lies with the property not having done the proper maintenance, the owner is obliged to give you the amount and deduct the rent.

What if your landlord refuses to pay?

First, keep him informed for good and not once, and if he continues, threaten to warn the mayor or the nearest equivalent legal administration. He continues and misses what you say? Well, go to the town hall, ask for information on how and how much repairs should be done, you can do them and demand that you be counted on your income, or decide not to do them and ask let it be deducted from the rent. Always there is no payment? Well, use the legal measures. It will also interest you to know that if because of house problems (such as heating, for example) you have fallen ill (flu or a cold snap) and you let it know, your landlord will be fined up to £ 5000.
Do you plan to live in York? Here is how to find the right home!
Students in Oxford: how to find the right student home in the city?

Plan du site